September Home Care Tips
With the kids back to school, summer has officially come to a close and fall is in the air. It's time to bring the out the flannel sheets as cooler weather approaches. It's important now to get your house in order as you'll be spending a lot more time indoors. Here are a few things you can get done around the house to prepare for fall:
- Refresh your bedroom for fall.
- Take your flannel sheets and cozy blankets out of storage even if you don't need them quite yet. You'll be happy to have them around when the nights start to get chilly. Take the time to rotate your mattress, launder your mattress pad and clean out the dust bunnies from under the bed.
- Have the chimney and furnace inspected.
- Make sure you're home is ready to take on the cooler weather by having a professional look at both your fireplace and heating system. It's been awhile since you've used them so before winter gets here make sure they're cleaned and ready.
- Clean and organize.
- Don't just save cleaning for spring. Vacuum and mop floors, clean rugs and wipe surfaces throughout the house. As you clean also set aside things to give away while you go through shelves and cabinets.
- Swap out home accessories.
- Keep your home feeling current by tweaking a few details each season. Swap out throw pillows, add cozy blankets and decorate with seasonal produce.
- Remove window AC units.
- Remember to drain them, clean or change the filters before storing them for next year. Tape any hardware to the unit so it doesn't get lost in the meantime.
- Hang heavier window treatments.
- Thicker window coverings can help your home retain heat - saving money on energy bills. If you use blinds, layer curtains on top.
- Add weather stripping.
- Adding weather stripping is a simple way to stop drafts around windows and doors.
- Consider adding more insulation.
- Adding insulation to your attic space or inside walls can help save money during the colder months.
- Set up a homework or project area.
- Encourage kids to get their work done with an area that's comfortable, attractive and well organized.